Live Your Life with No Regrets
Everyday is a new chance to enhance your life. To be taught something new. To move in the direction of your dreams. Or simply to take pleasure in the beauty of how wonderful your life is right now. Whether you want more out of life or you love what you’ve got and want to move into even deeper levels of joy and appreciation, today’s article is for you. It’s about creating the best of your life yet and it’s filled with practical wisdom to make that your reality.
There are far too many capable people who don’t pursue their dreams and goals because they let their fears, or others, talk them out of it. They give up before they even try and simply let life’s river flow them downstream. Choose to be stronger than that. Choose to swim upstream when you have to. Choose to do the things in life that move you. Let others lead small lives. Let others argue over small things. Let others cry over small wounds. Let others leave their future in someone else’s hands. But not YOU.
To live your life without regret takes effort. Along with effort some changes will need to be made. Don’t go one more day without taking action. Fix what you can and never stop trying to fix what you think is broken or bent. Whether you are 18 or 89, it’s never too late.
Forget the past. Forget your age. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. At the end of it, let there be no excuses, no explanations, and no regrets.
Here are 10 great ideas to get you there with a smile on your face and a sense of accomplishment in your heart.
- Wear your truth. As long as you keep being YOU, as long as you keep staying true to yourself and the passions that move you, it doesn’t matter how many jobs you get or don’t get, how many mistakes you make, or how many times you have to pull a u-turn. None of it matters. What matters is that you’re living in your truth. The people who need you will eventually find you – the real you. And you will find the people you need. You will find the answers you need. But more importantly, you will find the questions you would have never thought to ask.
- Forgive anyone that has wronged you. Holding onto negative feelings will only make you bitter. Release the grip, do not hold a grudge and move on with your life. “Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.” Buddha
- Take time before it’s too late. Before you know it you’ll be asking, “How did it get so late so soon?” Take time to figure yourself out. Take time to realize what it is you want. Take time to take risks. Take time to love, laugh, cry, and forgive. Life is shorter than it often seems. Take time before it’s too late. Look straight ahead and say “YES” to the opportunities coming your way. Happiness and success never come to look for you while you wait around. You’ve got to get out there, take chances, and work at it to make your dreams come true.
- Take better care of yourself. You have one body, one brain and one life to live. The average American spends 34 hours a week watching television. Just the sound of that is depressing. I challenge you to cut the cable. I left TV in the dust 3 years ago and have not looked back. I go on more frequent walks, spend more time reading, building my brain. I have a chance to do more dream building than ever before. One final note, make better choices with what you put in your body as well. Processed foods, sugar and chemicals will reduce your life expectancy and increase your chance for disease. You’ve got plenty of life to live, so do it the healthy way.
- Think you CAN. If it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you. And change breeds growth. So when a goal seems big and a plan looks tough, just start, push through it for awhile, and soon the next thing you need to do will look possible. Step by step you can get through anything – this is the truth and you have to believe it. In the end, you’re going to succeed because you’re crazy enough to think you can.
- Believe in yourself. Concentrate on being your best self. Negativity becomes a life altering habit, just the same as positivity; the difference is the amount of belief you hold in yourself, and how you use this belief to fuel your growth. Never think that what you have to offer is insignificant. When the time is right, there will be forces out there in need of exactly what you have to offer. So hang in there, stay positive, and remember that the connections you’re looking for in life typically become visible when you’re working hard at being your best self, and not looking at all.
- Live in the present. Pay attention to life while you’re living it. Don’t go through life always thinking what’s next. You will miss everything going on in the here and now. Also, when you are with someone, give them 100% of your attention. We all know of someone that lives for the “beep.” Every time their phone beeps they look at it no matter where they are. Put the phone away, turn the ringer on silent and focus your attention. Realize that life is simply a collection of little chances for happiness, each lived one second at a time. That some time each day should be spent noticing the beauty in the space between the big events. That moments of dreaming and sunsets and refreshing breezes cannot be bettered. But most of all, realize that life is about being here and now, watching and listening without a clock and without anticipation of results at every moment, and sometimes, on good days, for letting these little moments fill your heart with passion and love.
- Say “I love you” more frequently, to those in your life. No matter what, you’re going to lose people in your life. Realize that no matter how much time you spend with someone, or how much you appreciate them, sometimes it will never seem like you had enough time together. Don’t learn this lesson the hard way. Express your love. Tell people what you need to tell them. Don’t shy away from important conversations because you feel awkward or uncomfortable. You never know when you might lose your opportunity.
- Say “goodbye” so you can say “hello.” In life, goodbyes are a gift. When certain people walk away from you, and certain opportunities close their doors on you, there is no need to hold onto them or pray to keep them present in your life. If they close you out, take it as a direct indication that these people, circumstances and opportunities are not part of the plan for the next step of your life. It’s a hint that your personal growth requires someone different and something more, and life is simply making room. So embrace your goodbyes, because every “goodbye” you receive sets you up for an even better “hello.”
- Finally, never stop learning, never stop growing and always be curious about life. Life is not a game that can be played standing still. You are either moving forward or you are moving backward. Successful people are constantly educating themselves, making moves in a positive direction and are thirsty for knowledge. Read Life Lessons Everyone Learns the Hard Way.
Afterthoughts Live Your Life with No Regrets
The bottom line is that it’s never too late to take a step in the right direction. It’s never too late to become the person you are capable of being. Things can change if you want them to, at any age. Right now you have an opportunity to write yourself a life full of peace and free of regret.
What else would you add to the list? How will you live your life without regret? I welcome your comments and invite you to share this post with others on your favorite social channel. Thanks for your support and encouragement.